This healthy vegan chilli makes for a delicious and satisfying supper, crammed with pulses and colourful fresh vegetables you can go meat free any day of the week.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: approx 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g Chantenay, whole & unpeeled
- 350g mixed vegetables, chopped (tinned sweetcorn, courgettes, mushrooms, red, yellow & green peppers all work well)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp paprika (smoked or unsmoked)
- 1 tin mixed beans
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml boiling water
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut Yoghurt
- Fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
What to do:
In a large saucepan with a lid, fry the onion in the oil until soft (about 5 minutes), add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
Add the Chantenay, the chopped mixed vegetables and the spices and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the lovely spice aromas rise from the pan.
Finally add the mixed beans, tinned tomatoes and boiling water and bring everything up to the boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for around 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Check after 15 minutes or so and if the sauce is a little thin uncover for the remaining cooking time.
Serve sprinkled with the chopped coriander and a dollop of coconut yoghurt.