This sausage cassoulet dish can be prepared quickly making it a perfect fuss-free winter warmer.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 8 good quality pork sausages
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g Chantenay carrots, whole or cut in half
- 6 mushrooms, wiped and cut into quarters
- 1 large onion peeled and choppped
- 2 glasses red wine
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 490g tin green lentils, drained
- 490g tin chopped plum tomatoes
- 490g tin haricot beans
- 6 juniper berries, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp rosemary jelly or redcurrant jelly
- ½ tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
What to do:
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan or deep frying pan. Brown the sausages on all sides then add the onion and carrots and cook for 3 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes until they are just soft.
Then add the garlic, bay leaf, juniper berries and thyme, wine, ketchup, redcurrant jelly and tinned tomatoes. Let it bubble, then simmer.
Rinse the haricots and lentils, add to the pan, add salt and pepper, and cook for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has slightly thickened.