Hearty, healthy and vibrant this vegetarian curry is great for feeding a group of mates on a budget.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 7 curry leaves
- 1tbsp of medium curry paste
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 350g Chantenay carrots
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tin chopped peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 bunch of coriander, chopped
- 150ml of vegetable stock
- Sea salt and black pepper
What to do:
Roast the cumin and mustard seeds in a small pan, cook until they begin to pop. Remove from the heat, pound in a pestle and mortar and set aside.
Place a heavy based pan over medium heat. Add the oil and when it is hot add the onion. Reduce the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, chilli, curry leaves, curry paste and continue to cook for 1 minute.
Add the crushed cumin and mustard seeds to the onion mixture and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Add the squash, carrots, red pepper, lime juice and stir well.
Then add the tinned tomatoes, coconut milk, half the chopped coriander, and the stock. Cook for a further 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Adjust the seasoning and top with the rest of the coriander.